Applebee’s French Onion Soup is a popular menu item, and now you can make it at home with this copycat recipe.
The soup is made with caramelized onions, beef broth, and Swiss cheese, and it’s perfect for a cozy night in.
Thanks to this recipe, you can enjoy your favorite soup anytime.
You’ll be able to enjoy a bowl of this savory soup anytime you want.
What is Applebee’s French onion soup?
Applebee’s French onion soup is a classic soup made with beef broth, onions, and croutons. The soup is typically topped with cheese and a side of bread.
The soup is hearty and filling, and the cheese adds a creamy richness that makes it even more delicious. While the exact ingredients vary slightly from restaurant to restaurant, Applebee’s French onion soup is always a flavorful and satisfying meal.
Can I make this soup at home?
Yes! This copycat recipe for Applebee’s French Onion Soup is easy to follow and yields results that taste just like the original.
You can make this soup any time you crave it with a few simple ingredients.
How long does it take to make this French onion soup?
This French onion soup recipe takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour to make, in total. This includes the time it takes to caramelize the onions and the time needed for the soup to simmer.
In addition, once you’ve prepared the soup, it will need to spend a few minutes under the broiler to melt and bubbly the cheese topping.
So, you’re looking at about an hour from start to finish. However, most of that time is hands-off, so it’s not too much work for a delicious and hearty soup!
What ingredients do I need to start?
To make this delicious copycat soup, you’ll need:
Butter: It’s best to use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the dish.
Onion: You’ll need four cups of thinly sliced yellow onion for this recipe.
Sugar: One teaspoon of sugar is needed to help caramelize the onions.
Beef Broth: This recipe calls for four cups of beef broth. You can use store-bought or homemade.
Water: You’ll need two cups to thin the soup a bit.
Wine: A quarter cup of dry white wine adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish.
Salt and Pepper: Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Gruyere Cheese: Eight ounces of Gruyere cheese are needed for this recipe. Gruyere is a semi-soft Swiss cheese that melts well and has a slightly nutty flavor.
French Bread: You’ll need toasted eight one-inch slices of French bread.
Parsley: Two tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley are needed for garnish.
Applebee's French Onion Soup (Copycat)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 4 cups Thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 4 cups Beef broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 Slices of French bread, toasted (1-inch)
- 2 tbsp Chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sugar; cook, often stirring, for about 15 minutes or until the onion is golden brown.
- Add beef broth, water, and wine; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Ladle soup into eight ovenproof bowls.
- Top each with 1 ounce of cheese and a slice of toast.
- Broil for about 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Will this soup taste like the original?
Yes, this copycat recipe tastes similar to the French Onion Soup from Applebee’s. The onions are caramelized to perfection, and the beefy broth is rich and flavorful.
The cheese crouton topping is the perfect finishing touch. This soup is sure to become a new favorite!
How do I know when the soup is done?
The onion soup is done when the onions are golden brown, and the broth has simmered for 30 minutes. You can also test the soup by tasting it and adjusting the seasoning as necessary.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Then, reheat the soup on the stove over low heat until warm.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
Yes, feel free to experiment with different ingredients to suit your taste.
For example, you could replace the white wine with red wine or add some thyme or other herbs to the soup. If you don’t have Gruyere cheese, you could use another type of cheese, such as Swiss or cheddar cheese.
Tips and tricks for a better soup
For a more intense flavor, caramelize the onions by cooking them slowly over low heat for a longer period.
- Use a good quality beef broth for the best flavor.
- Add a splash of brandy or cognac to the soup for an extra depth of flavor.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free bread or croutons.
- This soup can also be made in the Crock Pot by cooking the onions on low for 6-8 hours before adding the remaining ingredients and cooking on high for 30 minutes.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled if you feed a crowd.
- Leftover soup can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months.
- This soup can also be made vegetarian by substituting beef broth with vegetable broth.
- For a dairy-free version, use vegan cheese or omit the cheese altogether.
- If you want a thinner soup, add more water or beef broth until it reaches the desired consistency.
- For a thicker soup, add some flour or cornstarch to thicken it up.
- You can also add some chopped cooked bacon or crumbled blue cheese on top of each bowl of soup for an extra flavor boost.
- Serve this soup with a green salad and crusty bread for a complete meal.
This recipe can also be made in the Instant Pot by cooking the onions on sauté for 5 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients and cooking on high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick, release the pressure, and serve. Enjoy!
Things to serve with this soup
1. A green salad: A simple green salad or something more elaborate like this Brussels Sprouts Salad would be great with this soup!
2. Roasted garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes: These mashed potatoes would be the perfect side dish for this soup! The roasted garlic and Parmesan add so much flavor.
3. Grilled cheese sandwich: A grilled cheese sandwich is the classic pairing for French onion soup, and good reason! The cheesy, melty goodness is the perfect complement to the rich soup.
4. Pesto chicken salad: This pesto chicken salad is a great light option to serve with this soup. The pesto has a lot of flavors, but the chicken keeps it light.
This copycat recipe for Applebee’s French Onion Soup is the perfect way to enjoy a classic soup home. This soup is easy to make and can be customized to suit your taste. So, gather up your ingredients and get ready to enjoy a delicious bowl of soup!
Similar Recipes from HotSalty: