The Chicken tater tot casserole recipe from Pioneer Woman is a popular comfort food dish that is easy to make. This recipe features chicken, tater tots, cheese, and a creamy sauce. It is perfect for serving a crowd or for leftovers.
This dish is a real crowd-pleaser, and it’s so easy to make!
The tater tots get nice and crispy in the oven, and the chicken and cheese filling is super tasty. You can even add some chopped green onions to the top for extra flavor.
What is the Chicken Tater Tot casserole from Pioneer Woman?
The Chicken Tater Tot casserole from Pioneer Woman is a hearty, comfort food dish perfect for a winter night. It is made with chicken, tater tots, and a creamy sauce and is topped with shredded cheese. This casserole can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to eat.
Can I make this recipe at home?
It’s no secret that Ree Drummond, aka the Pioneer Woman, has some pretty amazing recipes. Her Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is one of the most popular dishes.
You can make Pioneer Woman Chicken Tater Tot Casserole at home with some simple ingredients and time. The dish is perfect for a weeknight meal or a potluck dinner.
How long does it take to make this recipe?
This recipe for Pioneer Woman Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is pretty quick and easy to make, and it takes less than an hour to make from start to finish.
The chicken and vegetables are cooked in a creamy sauce, then topped with cheesy tater tots and baked until golden brown and bubbly. Serve this casserole with a side of green beans or a salad for a complete meal.
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Baking dish
- 1 package Frozen tater tots (32 ounces)
- 1 can Cream of chicken soup (10.75 ounces)
- 1 can Cheddar cheese soup (10.75 ounces)
- 1 Soup can full of milk (used 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
- Salt and black pepper
- 3-4 cups Cooked, shredded chicken (used a rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup Chopped green onions (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the tater tots in an even layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir in the cooked chicken and green onions (if using).
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Top with the tater tots.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the tater tots are nice and crispy.
- Serve hot.
How do I know when the recipe is done?
The recipe is done when the sauce is bubbly, and the tater tots are nice and crispy. You can also test it by inserting a knife or fork into the center of the casserole to make sure it is cooked through.
Can I add or replace any ingredients?
While this recipe is delicious as written, you can certainly add or replace some ingredients. For example, you could use different cheese or add some chopped vegetables. Be creative and make the recipe your own!
We hope you enjoy this Pioneer Woman Chicken Tater Tot Casserole recipe. It is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for a Better Recipe
First of all, for extra crispy tater tots, spread them out on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes before adding them to the casserole.
- Use two different kinds of cheese for an added depth of flavor. Try cheddar and mozzarella, or cheddar and Swiss.
- Add some chopped bacon to the casserole for a delicious, salty crunch.
- Use frozen vegetables instead of canned soup for a healthier option.
- For a spicy twist, add some diced jalapeños to the casserole.
- Top the casserole with chopped green onions or chives for a fresh flavor.
- Serve the casserole with a dollop of sour cream on top.
- Use rotisserie chicken for an easy way to add cooked chicken to the casserole.
- Replace the tater tots with frozen hash browns for a different twist on the classic dish.
- If you want a meatless version of this casserole, omit the chicken and add extra vegetables instead.
- For a vegetarian version, use vegetable broth in place of the milk and chicken soup.
- Add some BBQ sauce to the casserole for a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Use leftover cooked turkey in place of the chicken for a Thanksgiving-worthy dish.
- Make a double batch and freeze one for a quick and easy meal later.
And finally, add some grated Parmesan cheese to the top of the casserole for an extra cheesy flavor.
Side Dishes to Serve With This Recipe
- A green salad: Try a simple salad of mixed greens with a light vinaigrette.
- Roasted vegetables: Roast some seasonal vegetables to serve alongside this casserole.
- Garlic bread: Serve a loaf of garlic bread or some crispy garlic toast on the side.
- Cornbread: Serve a slice of warm cornbread on the side.
- A-side of rice: Serve this casserole over a cooked white or brown rice bed.
- Mashed potatoes: Another great option for serving this casserole is to spoon it over a bowl of mashed potatoes.
- Baked potatoes: This casserole would also be deliciously served over a warm baked potato.
- Egg noodles: Serve this casserole over a bed of cooked egg noodles.
Can I store this recipe?
Yes, you can store Pioneer Woman Chicken Tater Tot Casserole in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat it in the oven or microwave when you’re ready to enjoy it again. Enjoy!
Things to take care of while storing this recipe:
First of all, make sure the casserole dish is covered tightly with foil or plastic wrap to prevent food from drying out or absorbing other smells in the fridge.
- Label the casserole with the date it was made so you can keep track of how long it’s been stored.
- If you plan on reheating the casserole in the oven, place it on a baking sheet to prevent spills.
- Only reheat the casserole once to ensure food safety.
- Let the casserole cool completely before storing it in the fridge to prevent bacteria from growing.
- Let the casserole cool completely before storing it in the fridge or freezer to prevent bacteria from growing.
- To reheat a frozen casserole, thaw it in the fridge overnight and then bake it in the oven until heated through.
- If you want to reheat the casserole in the microwave, place it on a microwave-safe plate and cover it with a damp paper towel to prevent drying out.
- Only reheat the casserole once to ensure food safety.
Check the labels on your chicken soup and cheddar cheese soup to ensure they’re still good. If using milk, make sure it’s still within its expiration date.
If you use rotisserie chicken, make sure it’s fully cooked before shredding it. Chop the green onions if you haven’t already.
This recipe for Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is a delicious and easy way to feed your family or friends. You can have a delicious and satisfying meal with just a few simple ingredients. Follow the tips and tricks for a better recipe, and enjoy!
Related Pioneer Woman’s Recipes: