Craving some of your favorite seafood with sauce but don’t feel like leaving home to get it? Fret not, valiant cook!
You can make a fantastic tartar sauce in just minutes.
With this simple recipe, you’ll be able to enjoy your seafood feast in the comfort of your kitchen. So what are you waiting for?
Captain D’s is known for its delicious tartar sauce.
This recipe shows you how to make their tartar sauce quickly and easily in your home. This sauce is perfect with fish or shrimp, and will be sure to impress your guests!
What is Captain D’s Tartar sauce?
Captain D’s is a fast food restaurant chain that specializes in seafood. The menu features a variety of fried and grilled seafood items and a few non-seafood options.
One of the most popular items on the menu is the fish sandwich, which comes with a choice of tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.
The tartar sauce is a mayonnaise-based sauce with diced pickles, onions, and spices. It is served on the side for dipping or can be applied to the sandwich directly.
Can I make this sauce at home?
Yes, you can make a Captain D’s style tartar sauce at home with the recipe below.
It is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients that you may already have in your pantry or fridge. So give it a try the next time you are looking for a delicious dipping sauce or condiment!
What ingredients do I need for this sauce?
To make this delicious Captain D’s tartar sauce recipe, you will need:
Mayonnaise: It all starts with mayonnaise as the base for the sauce. You can use any type of mayonnaise that you like, but we recommend using a full-fat mayonnaise for the best results.
Dill pickles: These add a nice crunch and acidity to the sauce. We recommend using diced dill pickles, but you can also use chopped dill pickles if that’s what you have on hand.
Lemon juice: It adds a touch of brightness and acidity to the sauce. You can use fresh lemon juice or bottled lemon juice.
Worcestershire sauce: It is a key ingredient in the sauce and gives it a nice savory flavor. You can substitute with soy sauce if you don’t have Worcestershire sauce.
Garlic powder: This is optional, but we think it adds a nice depth of flavor to the sauce.
What else do I need to make this recipe?
In addition to the ingredients listed above, you will need:
A medium bowl for mixing: You can use any type of bowl that you have on hand.
A spoon or whisk for mixing: You will need either a spoon or whisk to mix the ingredients.
A cover for the bowl: You will need a cover for the bowl to refrigerate the sauce. We recommend using either plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Captain D’s Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Diced dill pickles
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Will this sauce taste like the original?
Yes, this sauce tastes very similar to Captain D’s original tartar sauce.
The mayonnaise, pickles, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder all create a delicious and flavorful sauce.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
Yes, feel free to experiment with this recipe!
For example, you could try using sweet pickle relish instead of diced dill pickles.
You could also add a bit of hot sauce or horseradish to give it some kick. Just remember to taste as you go so you don’t end up with something you don’t like!
Best ways to store this sauce
As any seafood lover knows, a good tartar sauce can make all the difference.
So whether you’re dipping fish sticks or enjoying a nice filet, this condiment can add a touch of creaminess and acidity that takes your meal to the next level.
Ideally, you should keep homemade tartar sauce in the fridge in an airtight container.
It will keep for up to two weeks this way.
You can also freeze tartar sauce, although it may separate slightly when thawed. If you do freeze it, be sure to thaw it in the fridge overnight before using it.
Whether you buy it or make it yourself, Captain D’s tartar sauce is an essential ingredient for any seafood lover’s pantry.
Tips and tricks for a better sauce
First of all, substitute apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice for a slightly different taste.
- Add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard for some extra zing.
- If you like your sauce on the sweeter side, add a tablespoon of honey.
- For a bit of heat, add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes.
- Stir in some chopped fresh parsley or chives for color and flavor.
- Make it your own by substituting your favorite herbs and spices for the ones listed here.
- Use light mayonnaise or Miracle Whip to reduce calories and fat without sacrificing taste.
- Give the sauce an Asian flair by stirring in a tablespoon of soy or hoisin sauce.
- If you want a smoother sauce, simply blend all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- For a thinner consistency, add a tablespoon or two of milk or cream.
Finally, double or triple the recipe if you’re serving a crowd, or want leftovers for later.
Dishes that go well with this homemade Captain D’s Tartar Sauce Recipe
A well-made tartar sauce is a perfect accompaniment to various seafood dishes. Here are 12 recipes that go particularly well with Captain D’s tartar sauce:
- Grilled salmon: The rich, creamy sauce pairs perfectly with the grilled salmon fillets.
- Baked haddock: A classic fish and chips dish that is elevated with the addition of tartar sauce.
- Fried shrimp: The crispy shrimp are even more delicious when dipped in a zesty tartar sauce.
- Calamari: The savory sauce helps to balance out the slightly sweet taste of calamari.
- Crab cakes: The moist crab cakes are given an extra flavor with a dollop of tartar sauce.
- Lobster tail: The succulent lobster meat is enhanced by the creamy, tangy sauce.
- Mussels: The tartar sauce complements the salty flavor of mussels cooked in white wine.
- Oysters: The salty taste of oysters is offset by the sauce’s sweetness.
- Scallops: Pan-seared scallops taste even better when dipped in a flavorful tartar sauce.
- Squid: The chewy texture of squid is contrasted by the smooth consistency of the sauce.
- Swordfish: The rich flavor of swordfish is complemented by the sauce’s acidity.
- Chips: Don’t forget the chips! They are the perfect vessel for enjoying this tartar sauce.
These are just a few dishes that go well with Captain D’s tartar sauce. So, the next time you look for a delicious sauce to elevate your seafood dish, be sure to try this recipe!
This Captain D’s tartar sauce recipe is quick, easy, and delicious! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Don’t forget to experiment with the ingredients and make it your own. And if you have any tips or tricks for a better sauce, let us know in the comments below.
Similar Sauces from HotSalty: