Do you know how long does it take to cook a perfect cannabutter in crockpot? I will show you everything you need to know for the perfect recipe!
Cannabutter is one of the most popular cannabis-infused recipes known for the tingly and exciting feeling it produces. plus it is also very healthy. You can learn how to make cannabutter following this simple-to-use and versatile recipe in your home. No fancy kitchen appliances are needed only your Crockpot, butter, cannabis flower, and jars.
You can use your cannabutter in place of ‘traditional’ butter for your other cooking recipes, that range from sweet to savory. Chocolate chip cookies, or cannabis brownies? Cannabutter is the way to go!
Follow this recipe to make your homemade edibles a dream come true.
How long to cook cannabutter in the crockpot?
How long it takes to cook cannabutter in crockpot depends on the decarb process. If you are cooking a pre-decarbed cannabis flower, you should expect to cook your cannabutter in the crockpot for 4 hours. Pre-decarbed cannabis flowers significantly reduce your cooking time.
When using non-decarbed cannabis flowers, and If you don’t want to go through the decarb process, you will have to cook for twice as long (for 8 hours) to cook the cannabutter properly. This is a more preferred route when dealing with non-decarbed flowers because many persons prefer not to decarb in the oven.
Cooking non-decarb cannabis flowers for 8 hours with fat (butter) as solvent has a reputation for producing cannabutter with a ‘green’ taste. This is due to the release of more chlorophyll into the mixture.
Tips to get the best slow cooker cannabutter
If you wish to spend lesser time cooking your cannabutter, first decarb the flower in an oven for 40 minutes before mixing with the butter. Always cook your cannabutter at low temperatures as high temperatures denature the flower, lead to scorching or waste the cannabinoids. You don’t want that to happen.
Remember to grind the cannabis before mixing with the butter and stir properly with butter to infuse thoroughly.
Choose your decarb process
If your cannabis flower is decarbed, you can go on to use it with no problem. If not, you need to decarb. Decarb is short for decarboxylation and it is done to give the flower that ‘high’ effect.
The process of decarboxylation typically involves using heat to convert the cannabinoid acid in the cannabis flower into the compounds that produce the ‘tingling high’ effect. Decarboxylation converts THCA into THC and CBDA into CBD. You can do this in two different ways.
Option 1: Put the cannabis in an oven and bake for 40 minutes at 245 °F. Stir frequently, to allow the heat to circulate every part.
Option 2: Cook for 8 hours in a crockpot using fat as solvent.
Cannabutter in Crockpot Recipe
How to make cannabutter in a crockpot
- Cannabis flower
Phase 1: Prepare the water bath
- Cover the bottom of your crockpot using a towel to buffer the contact between the bottom of your mason jars and the crockpot. This will also prevent the jars from moving and cracking during the process.
- Form a water bath by filling your crockpot with enough warm water to cover the size of jars you plan to use. Be careful so that the water doesn’t overflow when you insert the jars in the pot.
- Measure the temperature of the water using a digital thermometer. Turn to low heat when a temperature of about 180 °F is reached.
- Decarb your cannabis flower if it is non-decarbed. The decarb process involves heating your flower in an oven at 240 °F for 40 minutes.
Phase 2: Cook the cannabutter in your crockpot
- Next, divide the unsalted butter or ghee between two jars.
- Grind the cannabis flower using a coffee grinder and divide between the two jars already containing the butter. Don’t forget to stir so that the cannabis infuses the butter thoroughly.
- Cover the jars slightly after you wipe the rim and carefully place the jars into the warm bath in your crockpot.
- Attach the lid on the crockpot, set your timer, and allow to cook on low heat at 180 °F for 4 hours.
- When it's time, turn of the heat, remove your jars from the bath, and allow them to cool before you open.
Phase 3: Storage your cannabutter
- Next, you will need to strain some of those extra liquids and sediments you see on top.
- When your jars are cool enough to handle, pour the content over a funnel lined with a cheesecloth or paper filter. Do not press, allow it to drain freely. You can save the pulp to use later for other recipes.
- After straining, add your butter to any jar you wish to store it in. you can still use a mason jar or any flexible container or butter mold you chose.
- Store your cannabutter in the refrigerator. After some time the infused butter will solidify leaving some leftover liquid, and milk solids. Separate these before you serve!
- Your cannabutter will last as long as the expiration date of the butter you used or longer if you store it in a freezer.
Follow this method step by step to learn how you can easily make your cannabutter at home with your slow cooker or crockpot. The steps involved are quite long but the result is worth the process.
Steps to cook cannabutter in the crockpot are divided into three phases. Let’s see the best recipe.
Final tips and tricks
There is truly no recipe called the right way to make cannabutter. The recipes are there to guide you to find the technique that works perfectly to produce your desire outcome.
People react differently to cannabis. It’s not enough to know how to make cannabutter, you also need to know how to dose properly. You don’t want to overdose or underdose your cannabutter.
If you are a former consumer of cannabis, start with an amount you are used to for your cannabutter recipe. When your cannabutter is ready, try eating 1/2 spoon and see how you react in an hour. With this, you can optimize for future recipes until you discover your preferred dose.
Are you new to consuming cannabis, please seek medical advice to know more about how your body reacts to cannabinoid acids?
Never use the microwave to thaw your cannabutter from the fridge or freezer if you don’t want to ruin your product and Never use fake butter or margarine to make cannabutter
So, what do you think about our great recipe? Please, feel free to leave your comments below!