Moonshine is a type of liquor that has been around for centuries. It is typically made from corn mash and can be distilled to increase its potency.
While moonshine can be made in many ways, this 5-gallon moonshine mash recipe is one of the easiest methods.
This recipe calls for a few simple ingredients and can be easily scaled up or down, depending on your needs. So, if you’re looking to make your moonshine, give this recipe a try!
It’s possible to make whiskey moonshine at home?
While many people associate moonshine with backwoods stills and Illegal brewing, it is possible to make your whiskey moonshine at home.
The process is surprisingly simple, and all you need is a few basic supplies:
- You’ll need to choose a high-quality grain of alcohol.
- You’ll need to add some flavoring, such as honey, fruit, or spices.
- And you’ll need to age the mixture in an oak barrel.
By following these simple steps, you can create a delicious homemade whiskey perfect for sipping on a warm summer night.
How long does it take to make the moonshine?
The moonshine will be ready to drink after being fermented for 2-3 weeks. However, if you want a higher-proof moonshine, you can let it age in jars or bottles for a few months.
What ingredients do I need for this recipe?
If you’re looking to make your moonshine, you’ll need a good mash recipe. This 5-gallon moonshine mash recipe is a great place to start. It’s straightforward, and it will give you a delicious moonshine that’s perfect for sipping on a hot summer day.
To make this mash, you’ll need 10 lbs of grain (I prefer corn, but you can use rye or wheat), 5 gallons of water, 1 package of yeast, and 1 cup of sugar.
5 Gallon Moonshine Mash Recipe
- 10 lbs Cornmeal
- 5 gallons Water
- 1 package Yeast
- 1 cup Sugar
- Bring the 5 gallons of water to a boil in a large pot.
- Once the water is boiling, slowly add in the 10lbs of cornmeal while stirring.
- Once all cornmeal has been added, stir in 1 cup of sugar.
- Let the mixture boil for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes, remove the pot from heat and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the package of yeast to the mixture and stir well.
- Cover the pot with a lid or towel and let it sit for 24 hours in a warm place.
- After 24 hours, transfer the mixture to a fermentation vessel (a 5-gallon bucket will work fine).
- Fit the fermentation vessel with an airlock and let it ferment for 2-3 weeks.
- Once fermentation is complete, transfer the moonshine to jars or bottles and enjoy!
Can I store this moonshine recipe?
Yes, you can store moonshine for an extended period.
However, it is important to note that the longer it is stored, the more the flavor will change. If you want to store your moonshine for more than a few months, we recommend adding a small number of oak chips or spirals to the storage container.
This will help to keep the flavor consistent over time.
What is the best way to drink moonshine?
Moonshine can be enjoyed in many different ways.
It can be taken straight, or it can be used in cocktails. It can also be poured over ice or mixed with fruit juices or soda. However you choose to drink it, moonshine will give you a good time!
Tips and tricks for a better moonshine
First of all, use cornmeal that is as fine as possible. This will make it easier to dissolve in the water.
- Use good quality water. If your tap water isn’t great, use bottled water or filtered water.
- Boil the cornmeal and water for a full 30 minutes. This will help to break down the cornmeal and make it more fermentable.
- Be sure to dissolve the sugar completely before adding the yeast.
- Don’t add too much yeast. A package of dry yeast is usually enough for 5 gallons of mash.
- Let the mash sit for at least 24 hours before starting fermentation. This will give the yeast a chance to get started.
- Keep the fermentation vessel in a warm place. 70-80 degrees is ideal.
- Don’t let the mash get too hot during fermentation. If it gets over 80 degrees, the yeast will die off.
- After fermentation is complete, transfer the moonshine to a clean vessel for storage. This will help to prevent it from getting too strong.
- If you want to age your moonshine, do so in a glass or stainless steel container. Oak barrels are also an option, but be sure to use a small one (1 or 2 gallons) so that the surface area of the moonshine to wood ratio is high. This will help to speed up the aging process.
- Check your moonshine periodically while it’s aging. If it starts to get too strong, dilute it with water.
- Don’t forget to taste your moonshine regularly! This is the best way to know when it’s ready to bottle.
- When bottling, filter the moonshine through a coffee filter or cheesecloth to remove any sediment.
Store your moonshine in a cool, dark place and enjoy your moonshine responsibly!
Moonshine is a delicious and potent alcoholic beverage that can be enjoyed in many different ways. If you follow the tips and tricks in this article, you’ll be sure to make some great moonshine that your friends and family will love. Anyone can make this moonshine recipe with very simple ingredients. Cheers!
Similar Drinks Recipes: