Today I will show you how to male the Old Overholt Cocktail recipe in just 5 minutes.
This classic cocktail dated back to the 1800s and was once a mainstay of American bars. It’s composed of a few simple ingredients, but don’t let that fool you – the Old Overholt packs a serious punch.
The key to making a great Old Overholt is using high-quality rye whiskey.
We recommend using our Overholt Rye, of course!
What is the Old Overholt?
The Old Overholt is a rye whiskey that has been produced in the United States since 1810. The whiskey is made from a blend of rye, corn, and barley malt, and it is aged for at least two years in oak barrels.
The Old Overholt has a light amber color and a smooth, slightly sweet flavor with hints of vanilla and spice. It is often used in cocktails, such as the Manhattan and the Whiskey Sour. Beam Suntory currently produces the Old Overholt, and it is one of the oldest brands of whiskey still in production.
Can I make good cocktails with Old Overholt?
Old Overholt is a great choice if you’re looking for a good, solid rye whiskey. It’s been around since 1810, and it’s well-known for its bold flavor. But what many people don’t realize is that Old Overholt also makes a great cocktail whiskey.
The key is to use it in cocktails that emphasize the rye flavor, like the Manhattan or the Sazerac. Old Overholt also works well in other classics, such as the Vieux Carre and the Whiskey Sour. So if you’re looking for a versatile cocktail whiskey, Old Overholt is worth considering.
How long does it take to make these cocktails?
The Old Overholt cocktail is a quick and easy drink to make, and it only takes a few minutes from start to finish.
Old Overholt Cocktail Recipe
- 2 oz Rye whiskey
- 3/4 oz Sweet vermouth
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Maraschino cherry (for garnish)
- Add all ingredients except the cherry to a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well and strain into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with the cherry.
- If you want a little extra sweetness in your Old Overholt, try using a splash of cherry juice or simple syrup.
- For a fun twist, try substituting bourbon for the rye whiskey.
Can I use different ingredients?
Yes, you can use different ingredients in your Old Overholt cocktail. If you want a little extra sweetness, try using a splash of cherry juice or simple syrup. Or, for a fun twist, try substituting bourbon for the rye whiskey. Whatever ingredients you use, just shake them well with ice before straining them into your glass. Cheers!
Some variations of this cocktail
- For a sweeter drink, use red vermouth in place of the sweet vermouth.
- For a Rob Roy, use 2 oz. Scotch whisky in place of the rye whiskey.
- To make an Old Overholt Sour, add 1/4 oz. lemon juice to the cocktail.
- To make a New York Sour, float 1/4 oz. red wine on top of the cocktail.
- For a dryer drink, use dry vermouth instead of the sweet vermouth.
- To make a Greenpoint, add 1/4 oz. absinthe to the cocktail.
- To make a Pennsylvania Sour, add 1/4 oz. egg white to the cocktail.
Finally, to make a Manhattan, use 2 oz. Rye whiskey, 1 oz. Sweet vermouth and 2 dashes of bitters. Stir all ingredients together with ice and strain into a chilled glass. Garnish with a cherry or an orange peel.
Can I store this cocktail?
Yes, you can store this cocktail. Simply make the cocktail and then store it in a covered container in the fridge for two days. When you’re ready to drink it, just give it a shake and pour it into a glass. Enjoy!
Note: If you want to make a large batch of this cocktail, simply multiply the ingredients by the number of cocktails you want to make. Cheers!
Tips and tricks for a better cocktail
First of all, use fresh ingredients – this will make a big difference in the taste of your cocktail.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavor combinations.
- Use quality spirits to make your drink taste better and be more enjoyable.
- Make sure your glassware is clean and residue-free before making a cocktail.
- Use ice cubes or crushed ice in your drinks- it will keep them colder and help dilute the drink slightly.
- Avoid adding too much mixer to your cocktails – this can make them taste watered down.
- Taste your cocktails as you make them and adjust the flavors to your liking.
- When making a shaken cocktail, make sure to shake it vigorously for at least 30 seconds.
- Use fresh citrus juice in your cocktails- it will add a delicious zing to your drink.
- If you want a sweeter cocktail, try using simple syrup or agave nectar instead of sugar.
- Garnish your cocktails with fresh fruit, herbs, or edible flowers to make them look beautiful.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with your cocktail recipes – you may come up with a new favorite!
- If you’re having trouble getting a cocktail to taste right, consult a professional mixologist for help.
And finally, always drink responsibly and know your limit! Have fun and enjoy experimenting with different flavor combinations in your cocktails.
Things to serve with this cocktail
- Cheese and crackers: A classic pairing that always goes well with cocktails.
- Spicy snacks: Old Overholt is pretty smooth rye, so it can handle some spice. Try serving it with chips and salsa or anything else that packs a little heat.
- Fried foods: The sweetness of the vermouth in this cocktail makes it a great match for fried foods. Serve it with chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, or any other of your favorite fried foods.
- Sweet snacks: The Old Overholt is also a great option for those who like their cocktails on the sweeter side. Try serving it with cookies, cake, or even some fruit.
- Pub food: This cocktail goes great with classic pub fares like burgers, wings, and fries.
- Italian food: The sweet vermouth in this cocktail makes it a great match for Italian dishes. Try serving it with pasta, pizza, or even some garlic bread.
- Mexican food: The Angostura bitters in this cocktail give it a bit of spice that pairs well with Mexican food. Try serving it with tacos, burritos, or enchiladas.
- Seafood: The Old Overholt is a great choice for those who want to pair their cocktail with seafood. Try serving it with shrimp, lobster, or even some sushi.
- Soups: TheOld Overholt is a great way to add a little bit of flavor to your favorite soups. Try serving it with chicken soup, tomato soup, or even some lentil soup.
- Salads: The Old Overholt is a great choice for those who want to add some flavor to their salads. Try serving it with a green salad, Caesar salad, or fruit salad.
- Desserts: The Old Overholt is a great way to finish a meal. Try serving it with chocolate cake, apple pie, or even ice cream.
The Old Overholt is a classic cocktail that is quick and easy to make. To create different flavor combinations, you can use different ingredients in your Old Overholt cocktails, such as bourbon or red vermouth. Just be sure to shake all of the ingredients well with ice before straining them into your glass. Cheers!