Today I will show you how to prepare and cook Chicken Piccata Barefoot Contessa recipe from Ina Garten.
Piccata is a light and delicate dish perfect for a summer evening.
The Barefoot Contessa strikes again with this delicious recipe that can easily be made in your kitchen.
You’ll love the flavors of lemon and capers combined with succulent chicken breasts.
This dish is perfect for a busy weeknight and can please even the pickiest of eaters.
Plus, it only requires a few simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry. So why wait? Get started on this tasty chicken piccata tonight!
What is the Chicken Piccata – Ina Garten recipe?
Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, is known for her simple yet delicious recipes.
One of her most popular dishes is chicken piccata, a classic Italian recipe that features tender chicken breasts in a lemon-butter sauce.
The key to this dish is to cook the chicken until it is crispy on the outside but still juicy on the inside.
Garten’s recipe calls for dredging the chicken in flour before pan-frying it, which helps to create a nice golden crust.
Thanks to Ina Garten, we can all enjoy a delicious chicken piccata without spending hours in the kitchen.
Can I make this recipe at home?
The answer is yes, you can! This recipe is easy to make at home and only requires a few simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.
Plus, avoiding those expensive store-bought versions is a great way to save money.
So, if you’re looking for a delicious and budget-friendly recipe, this one is worth trying.
How long does it take to make the chicken piccata?
This recipe is quite quick and easy to make.
The chicken only needs to be cooked for a few minutes per side, and the entire dish can be on the table in less than 45 minutes.
So, if you’re looking for a fast and easy weeknight dinner option, this recipe is worth trying.
What ingredients do I need for this delicious recipe?
Chicken Piccata is a classic Italian dish traditionally made with chicken, lemon, and white wine.
This recipe from Ina Garten uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and cooked in a mixture of butter and olive oil.
The chicken is then dredged in flour, egg, and bread crumbs and fried until golden brown.
The lemon juice and wine are added to the pan to create a delicious sauce. The chicken is served with sliced lemon and chopped parsley for garnish.
Chicken Piccata Barefoot Contessa
- 2 Split (1 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 Extra-large egg
- ½ tbsp Water
- cup Seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Good olive oil
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ⅓ cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- Lemon halves reserved
- ½ cup Dry white Wine
- Sliced lemon for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound or roll out to become about ¼-inch thick.
- You can use a meat hammer or a similar tool for this.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Mix flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper in a shallow plate or bowl.
- In a second bowl, beat one egg with ½ tablespoon of water together.
- Add ¾ cup of seasoned bread crumbs to the third plate or bowl.
- Heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, dredge the chicken in flour mixture, egg mixture, and bread crumbs.
- Carefully add chicken to the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet and place it on a wire rack or plate lined with paper towels to cool.
- To the same skillet, add lemon juice and wine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with sliced lemons and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
How do I know when the recipe is done?
The chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
You can use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken, or you can cut it into one piece to check that it is no longer pink in the center.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
Yes, you can add or replace some of the ingredients in this recipe.
For example, if you don’t have white wine on hand, you could use chicken broth instead.
You could add other herbs and spices to the bread crumb mixture, such as garlic powder or paprika.
If you’re not a fan of chicken, you could try this recipe with pork chops or veal cutlets.
Tips and tricks for a better chicken piccata recipe
First of all, if you don’t have any parchment paper or plastic wrap, you can use a large zip-top bag to pound out the chicken breasts.
- Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper before dredging in flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
- Use one hand for dry ingredients and one hand for wet ingredients when dredging the chicken in flour, egg, and bread crumbs. This will help to keep things from getting too messy.
- Be sure to shake off any excess flour, egg, or bread crumbs before adding the chicken to the skillet. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a burnt and mushy mess.
- Cook the chicken over medium-high heat, so it browns evenly and doesn’t stick to the skillet.
- Use a large skillet to cook all of the chicken breasts at once. You can cook the chicken in batches if you don’t have a large enough skillet.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet and place it on a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate to cool. This will help to keep the chicken from getting soggy.
- To make the sauce, use freshly squeezed lemon juice. The bottled stuff won’t taste as good.
Finally, cook the sauce until it has thickened slightly. This will help to keep it from separating when you pour it over the chicken.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time.
Cook the chicken and prepare the sauce up to 2 days in advance.
Store the cooked chicken and sauce in separate containers in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
Reheat the chicken in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through, and then add the sauce back in and heat until bubbly.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
No, this recipe is not gluten-free. The chicken is dredged in flour and bread crumbs, which contain gluten.
However, you could try using gluten-free alternatives, such as almond flour or quinoa flakes, to make this recipe gluten-free.
Is this recipe suitable for vegetarians or vegans?
This recipe is unsuitable for vegetarians or vegans as it contains meat and dairy products.
However, you could try using a plant-based protein, such as tofu, tempeh, or seitan, instead of the chicken. You would also need to use vegan-friendly butter, egg, and milk alternatives.
Chicken piccata is a delicious, easy-to-make recipe perfect for a weeknight meal. By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be sure to end up with a dish that is both flavorful and impressive. Give it a try the next time you’re looking for something new to make for dinner!
Similar Recipes from HotSalty: