I’m always looking for new recipes to add to my fall and winter meal rotation, and I stumbled across this delicious-looking Mexican chicken soup recipe from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa).
It’s perfect for chilly weather, and it can be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. Best of all, it only takes about 30 minutes to make! I can’t wait to try it out.
This Mexican chicken soup is a flavorful and hearty dish perfect for a winter meal. The soup is made with chicken, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and spices, and it is simmered until the chicken is cooked through.
What is the Ina Garten Mexican chicken soup?
This Mexican chicken soup is full of flavor and perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal! Ina Garten’s recipe calls for chicken breasts, salsa, corn, black beans, and cumin. It’s good to add a little extra spice with some chopped jalapeños.
This soup is hearty and filling but still light and healthy. Serve it with chopped scallions and sour cream for a delicious and satisfying meal.
How long does it take to make this soup?
This Ina Garten Mexican chicken soup recipe is easy and quick to make! It only takes about 55 minutes from start to finish, making it the perfect weeknight meal.
There’s minimal cleanup required. So, if you’re looking for a delicious and hearty soup that can be on the table in no time, this is the recipe for you!
What’s in the Garten Mexican chicken soup recipe?
To make this recipe, you will need simple ingredients like chicken breasts, salsa, corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder, Salt and pepper, scallions, and Sour cream.
Ina Garten Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1 pound Chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 1 jar Salsa (16 ounces)
- 1 can Corn, drained (15 ounces)
- 1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Sour cream (for garnish)
- Broccoli (optional)
- Add the chicken breasts, salsa, corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper to a slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Let it cook for approximately 50 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and return it to the pot.
- Garnish with scallions and sour cream, and serve.
Some variations of this recipe:
- Add a diced onion to the slow cooker or Instant Pot when adding the other ingredients.
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for a richer flavor.
- Add a can of diced tomatoes (drained) for extra texture and flavor.
- Add some chopped cilantro for freshness.
- For a bit of spice, add a diced jalapeño pepper to the slow cooker or Instant Pot when you add the other ingredients. Remove it before serving if you don’t want the soup to be too spicy.
- To make this soup in the Instant Pot, add all ingredients to the pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Do a natural release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
Finally, if you want to bulk up this soup, you can add a diced potato or some chopped kale or spinach with the other ingredients.
How do I know when the soup is done?
The Ina Garten Mexican chicken soup is done when the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork. You’ll also know it’s done when the soup is nice and thick. If it’s too thin, you can cook it for a little longer.
However, if it’s too thick, you can add a little more salsa or water to thin it out. Either way, this soup is sure to be a hit! Give it a try, and let us know what you think in the comments below. Enjoy!
Tips and tricks for a better recipe
For extra flavor, try marinating the chicken breasts in lime juice, cilantro, and garlic before cooking. But this is not the only tip we have for you. Check out below some of other tips and tricks for a better Mexican chicken soup:
- If you like your soup extra spicy, add a teaspoon or two of chili powder or include a diced jalapeño pepper when cooking.
- Consider adding other vegetables to the soup, such as diced tomatoes, broccoli, onions, or bell peppers.
- If you want a thicker soup, purée some of the cooked black beans and add them back into the pot.
- To make this soup even more hearty and filling, add some cooked rice or quinoa when serving.
- Top each bowl of soup with shredded cheese, diced avocado, or both.
- Make it a complete meal by serving the soup with a side of tortilla chips or warm flour tortillas.
- Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 2 months.
- This soup can also be made in the Instant Pot- follow the same instructions, but cook on high pressure for 15 minutes instead.
- Try serving this soup with a dollop of pesto or chimichurri sauce.
- If you’re not a fan of cumin, feel free to leave it or substitute it with another spice, such as smoked paprika or oregano.
Finally, for a vegetarian version of this soup, omit the chicken and double the number of black beans. You could also add some extra vegetables, such as zucchini or mushrooms.
Things to serve with chicken Mexican soup
- Tortilla chips: Serve this soup with a bag of tortilla chips for dipping.
- Rice: Cook up some white or brown rice to serve on the side.
- Avocado: Slice up an avocado or two and serve it on top of the soup.
- Cheese: Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the soup.
- Lime: Squeeze a lime over the soup for extra flavor.
- Hot sauce: Add a little bit of hot sauce to the soup if you like it spicy.
- Cilantro: Garnish the soup with freshly chopped cilantro.
- Beans: Add some extra beans to the soup if you want.
- Veggies: Throw in some extra veggies like diced tomatoes, bell peppers, or onions.
- Avocado slices: Serve this soup with some avocado slices on top.
Can I store this recipe?
This recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove over low heat until warmed through. You can also freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
Things to take care of while storing this recipe:
- Make sure the container is airtight, so the soup doesn’t dry out.
- Label the container with the recipe’s name and the date it was made.
- Place the soup in the fridge within 2 hours of cooking.
- Reheat the soup on the stove over low heat to avoid overcooking.
- Add additional seasonings to taste after reheating.
- Garnish with fresh scallions and sour cream before serving.
- Enjoy within 3 days for the best flavor and quality.
- Freeze for up to 3 months if longer storage is needed.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Finally, discard any soup that has been in the fridge for more than 3 days or frozen for longer than 3 months.
This Ina Garten Mexican chicken soup recipe is the perfect weeknight meal! It’s quick and easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. The soup is hearty and filling and can be easily customized to your liking.
Related soup recipes: