Cream of asparagus soup can be enjoyed in different recipes, however, the barefoot contessa is a special and best recipe. It is a soup with all the healthy ingredients included in it. The asparagus, potatoes, and leeks make this soup thick and creamy.
The best part is that it does not have any cream or dairy products in it. All you need to do is cook the vegetables until soft and then blend them together. You can also add some seasonings of your choice to make it more flavorful.
This soup is perfect for a winter meal or even a light starter for dinner parties. Enjoy! The recipe is given below for your convenience.
How long does it take to make this cream of asparagus?
Since it is my favorite recipe out of all the others, it takes that much of your time. The soup usually takes 40 mins. To get ready. However, you can prepare it, set it aside and chill it till it cooks.
Cream of Asparagus Soup Barefoot Contessa Recipe
- 1 lb Asparagus (tough ends trimmed)
- 1 Leek (white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced thin)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 4 cups Chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Start the recipe by melting some butter in a dutch oven and then add garlic to the melted butter while still on flame and sautes it for 1-2 mins.
- The next step is to add asparagus to the mixture and saute for 5-6 mins until you see it turning green in color.
- Now add salt, pepper, and chicken broth to boil on high heat.
- Once you are done with the third step, get the mixture to medium heat, simmer it for about 10 mins until you see asparagus getting soft.
- Once the mixture is made, blend it well into a mixture.
- Transfer back the blended soup in the pot and add some heavy cream with it while stirring the soup properly.
- Once, it came to a boil. Transfer it to the bowl and you are ready to go. You can also try some side dishes with it.
- Some of them which go best with the soup is mentioned below.
What other vegetables can I add to this soup?
You can surely add some other vegetables like carrots, celery, and even spinach. According to your taste, you can also add some herbs like thyme or rosemary.
Can I make this cream of asparagus soup in a slow cooker?
There is no reason why you can’t. All you need to do is cook the vegetables on low heat until they are soft. Then, blend them together and add some seasonings of your choice. Your soup will be ready in no time!
Can I replace some ingredients?
If you want, you can replace the heavy cream with milk. However, heavy cream will make the soup thin and the creaminess will be missing.
Also, use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock if you want. The Parmesan cheese can be replaced with any other hard cheese like cheddar or Gruyere. Although all of these changes of ingredients will surely affect the taste of the soup it should be originally tasting.
What to serve with this soup?
This creamy asparagus soup is best served with crusty bread or crackers. You can also garnish it with some fresh herbs like chives, parsley, or thyme.
Can I use frozen ingredients?
Yes, you can use frozen asparagus and leeks in this recipe. There is no need to thaw them before cooking. Just add a few minutes to the cooking time.
This soup can also be made in a blender or food processor. Just blend or process until smooth and creamy. You may need to add more liquid if the soup is too thick.
Can I add chicken to this soup?
Yes, you can absolutely add some crispy or soft chicken in the soup accordion to your preference. It will only increase the taste of the soup. However, it surely will not affect the texture and the creaminess of the soup.
This soup can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
What herbs can I add to the soup?
Somes aren’t a necessity in the soup. However, if you wish to add some herbs you can go with fresh chives or dill to garnish it.
The cream of asparagus soup barefoot contessa can be stored?
Yes, the cream of asparagus soup barefoot contessa can be stored in the utmost easy way. Here is how:
- First, bring your soup to room temperature
- Now, transfer the soup into a container. Make sure it is an airtight one so that your soup shall not get spoiled by the moisture present around.
- Store it in the refrigerator and you are good to go for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Although if you want your soup’s shelf life to be much longer, follow the first two steps as they are and store the soup in the freezer instead. It will increase the shelf life to 2-3 months.
How to reheat the cream of asparagus soup barefoot contessa?
It is really easy to reheat the cream of asparagus soup. All you have to do is:
- Pour the soup into a pot or a microwavable bowl.
- Now, heat it till it reaches its boiling point. You can either do this on a stovetop or in a microwave.
- Once it is hot, serve it immediately.
Tips and tricks for a better recipe
There are certain tips and tricks which if kept in mind can help you get an even better recipe. They are as follows:
- Do not overcook the vegetables as they can make the soup mushy and affect its texture.
- Use fresh asparagus for a better flavor. If you are using frozen ones, make sure to thaw them completely before adding them to the soup.
- To get a creamier soup, use milk instead of water while blending the soup.
- For a healthier version, you can use low-fat milk or chicken stock instead of heavy cream.
- You can also garnish the soup with some shredded cheese or croutons.
- If you want a smoother soup, make sure to strain it before serving.
And finally, do not forget to adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
This creamy asparagus soup is a perfect way to enjoy the spring season. It is one of the easiest recipes you could come across on the internet to try this season. It is perfect for any guest coming over or a small get-together.
All people, including children and adults, love the soup. You can also make some changes according to your taste if you wish to. It is healthy, flavorful, and can be made in no time. So, what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try and let us know how you like it in the comments section below. Happy cooking!
I hope you enjoy this cream of asparagus soup barefoot contessa recipe! If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. Thanks for reading!