How long does it take to bake tilapia at 400 degrees in oven? Let’s see the best recipe in the world!
The great thing about tilapia (virtually all fish type) is that it cooks quickly and it’s a dream for weeknight dinners. Oven-baked tilapia fish is very convenient, requires minimal effort, and takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. Non-fish lovers enjoy tilapia because of its mild fish taste. You can never set a foot wrong with our nutritious oven-baked tilapia. With little preparation, you will end up with the most flavorful and buttery meal.
Looking for more ideas to enjoy your weeknight’s dream? Follow our great recipe below to enjoy the best oven-baked tilapia fish ever.
What is the best temperature to bake tilapia?
The best temperature to bake tilapia depends on whether the fish is fresh, frozen, filleted, or full. For tilapia fish fillets or full fishes, the standard oven temperature is 350 or 400 Fahrenheit.
While 400 Fahrenheit is a more popular choice, any of the temperatures are fine and will produce a great result.
The only thing that will vary is the cooking time which brings us to the next point. Set your oven temperature to 400 Fahrenheit, add your prepared tilapia to the oven, and set your timer to 15 minutes.
How long to bake tilapia at 400 degrees and 350 degrees?
As we said earlier, the standard cooking temperature for oven-baked tilapia fish is 350 and 400 Fahrenheit.
Cooking time will vary at the same temperature depending on the size of the fish. If you choose to bake tilapia at 400 Fahrenheit, set your timer to 12-15 minutes. Small-sized tilapia fillets will be ready in 12 minutes while larger-sized ones will cook properly in 15 minutes.
Likewise, at 350 Fahrenheit, smaller-sized tilapia fillets will be ready in 20 minutes and larger-sized tilapia fillets will have to cook for five additional minutes.
Because, tilapia cooks very quickly, your oven temperature is very important. Temperatures below 350 Fahrenheit will cook your tilapia slowly but will affect the tastes and texture of the result. Likewise, temperatures above 400 Fahrenheit may also cook your tilapia at less time but with a high risk of burning. Set your oven temperature to 350 Fahrenheit or 400 Fahrenheit.
Bake Tilapia at 400 Degrees in Oven
- 4 Fillets tilapia (4 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- ¼ teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning TM, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garlic salt, or to taste
- 1 Lemon (sliced)
- 1 Package frozen cauliflower with broccoli and red pepper (16 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Rinse your tilapia fish and dry with a clean paper towel to remove any moisture.
- Sprinkle olive oil on the baking dish to ensure that the fish fillets don't stick.
- Place the tilapia fillets in the bottom of the baking dish
- Dot each slice with butter.
- Season with Old Bay seasoning and garlic salt.
- Top each one with a slice or two of lemon.
- Arrange the frozen mixed vegetables around the fish
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish with a foil, slide it into the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Other recipe: Bake Tilapia in oven at 400 Degrees
- 1 Lb tilapia fillets
- Olive oil or melted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Minced garlic
- Dried parsley
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Rinse your tilapia with water and dab with a paper towel to dry. Remove any moisture.
- Prepare your baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the melted butter, garlic, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on your tilapia fillets.
- Pour combined melted butter and co over fish fillets.
- Prepare your pan: rub olive oil on the pan so that the fish fillets don’t stick on it.
- Place fillets on the pan.
- Add garlic and sprinkle with parsley or any additional favorites.
- Top with parmesan cheese if you like.
- Slide your tilapia into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Serve you delicious meal!
Should I cook tilapia at 350 degrees or 400 degrees?
The recommended temperatures for cooking tilapia include 350, 375, 400 Fahrenheit. Any temperature within this range is fine and your tilapia will turn out tender and well-cooked for you to enjoy. Keep in mind that as the temperature varies, so does the time.
Higher temperature means less cook time. Also, don’t go over 400 degrees Fahrenheit if you don’t want to burn your food. Temperature and time are very important especially with foods (like tilapia) that take a short time to cook.
If you wish to cook at 400 Fahrenheit, set your timer for 12-15 minutes. Or if you choose to cook at 350, set your timer for 20-25 minutes. This is enough to give you well-cooked tilapia and soft vegetables.
In both cases, to check for doneness, the internal temperature of your tilapia should measure 145 Fahrenheit. This is the safe eating temperature for tilapia fish.
Can I use frozen ingredients?
Frozen fish is a great way to store your protein. You may decide to buy your tilapia ahead of time or in bulk. The best way to preserve them is to put them in a freezer. Yes, you can use frozen tilapia. Frozen tilapia is safe because they are processed and frozen immediately after catch.
Fresh tilapia lasts in the refrigerator for only a few days. If you buy them frozen, they can last up to 2 months fresh in the freezer and you will always have them handy anytime you are ready.
You can buy frozen tilapia and simpy thaw before you cook or you can buy them fresh from the fish farm. Both of them work just fine. But it is better to buy them frozen because they are usually cheaper.
How can I improve my recipe?
Cover your dish with aluminum foil before you slide your baking tray into the oven. This will make your tilapia juicier and more tender. But if you like the nicely browned tilapia, leave the aluminum foil and insert your fish without being uncovered.
During purchase, avoid selecting any tilapia with a sour smell, dull color, and slimy texture!
Select a moist and resilient tilapia. They are fresh and healthy. You can buy the whole tilapia fresh and have it filleted for you at the store/farm.
Use small-sized individual baking dishes. These are convenient and go directly from the oven to the table. They also make a nice presentation!
Final tips and tricks
Tilapia fish is low in carbs and high in protein, with a good amount of fat, which makes it Keto friendly.
As a final note, bacon is not better than tilapia. The stories about the dangers of tilapia were due to some tilapia raised in China that were discovered to be fed manure rather than appropriate fish food. This doesn’t mean all tilapia is unsafe to eat or that bacon is better than tilapia. Tilapia is a pond farmed fish and it is safe to eat. If concerned, buy from reputable stores or ask for the U.S-raised tilapia.
So, what did you think about this Tilapia recipe in oven? Please, feel free to leave your comments and opinion below!