Valentina hot sauce is a popular Mexican condiment found in most grocery stores.
The original recipe is a secret, but our copycat version is just good and relatively simple, and the result is a flavorful and spicy sauce that can add zing to any dish.
This blog post will show you how to make Valentina hot sauce at home using just a few ingredients.
So get ready to spice up your life with this delicious copycat recipe!
What is Valentina Hot Sauce?
Valentina hot sauce is a popular brand of chili sauce that originated in Mexico.
The sauce is made from chili peppers, including jalapeño, serrano, and habanero.
Valentina hot sauce is known for its bright red color and distinctively spicy flavor.
The sauce is commonly used as a condiment for Mexican dishes such as tacos and enchiladas.
It can also be used as a dipping sauce or added to soups and stews to give them an extra kick of flavor.
Can I copycat that recipe at home?
Yes, you can! This recipe is a great copycat of the Valentina hot sauce. It is easy to make and just as delicious.
Try it at home and see for yourself.
How long does it take to make the sauce?
This sauce takes about 45 minutes to make.
However, it is well worth the effort, as it is delicious and much cheaper than buying hot sauce at the store.
Plus, you can control the level of spiciness by adjusting the amount of jalapeño pepper used.
What ingredients do I need to start?
To make this Valentina hot sauce recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
Olive oil: It’s important to use good quality olive oil for this recipe. We recommend using extra virgin olive oil.
Onion: We like to use white onion for this recipe, but you can also use yellow onion.
Garlic: Make sure to use fresh garlic cloves for this recipe. Minced garlic from a jar will not taste the same.
Jalapeño pepper: You can use more or less jalapeño pepper depending on how spicy your sauce tastes.
Cumin: This spice gives the sauce a beautiful smoky flavor.
Chili powder: You can use any type of chili powder you like. We like to use smoked chili powder for this recipe.
Smoked paprika: This is another optional ingredient, but we love the flavor it gives to the sauce. If you don’t have any, you can leave them out.
Oregano: Make sure to use fresh oregano if possible. Dried oregano will work in a pinch.
Salt: We like to use kosher salt for this recipe, but you can use any type of salt that you have on hand.
Black pepper: Freshly ground black pepper is best, but pre-ground black pepper will also work.
Tomatoes: We like to use diced tomatoes for this recipe, but you can also use whole peeled tomatoes. If you use whole peeled tomatoes, drain them before adding them to the sauce.
Tomato paste: This helps to thicken the sauce and gives it a beautifully rich flavor.
Honey: This is what gives the sauce its characteristic sweetness.
Apple cider vinegar: You can use any type of vinegar, but we prefer apple cider vinegar for this recipe.
Adobo sauce: This is a Mexican ingredient found in most supermarkets’ international aisles. If you can’t find it, you can leave it out.
Sriracha sauce: This is another optional ingredient, but we love the flavor it adds to the sauce. If you don’t have any, you can leave them out.
Water: This helps to thin out the sauce and make it more pourable.
What else do I need?
In addition to the ingredients listed above, you’ll also need the following:
- An immersion blender: This is the best way to blend the sauce until it’s smooth. You can use a regular blender if you don’t have an immersion blender. Let the sauce cool slightly before blending, and be very careful when transferring the hot sauce too and from the blender.
- A large saucepan: This is where you’ll cook the sauce. Make sure to use a large enough pan to accommodate all the ingredients.
Valentina Hot Sauce Recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Onion (diced)
- 3 Cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 Jalapeño pepper (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 can Diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can Tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup Water
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, vinegar, adobo sauce, sriracha sauce, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the sauce until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Will this sauce taste like the original?
Yes, this sauce tastes almost exactly like the original Valentina hot sauce.
The only difference is that it’s not quite as spicy.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
Feel free to play around with the ingredients to suit your taste
For example, you could try substituting the jalapeño pepper with a different type of chili pepper or adding in additional spices like cayenne pepper or chipotle powder.
You could also swap out the apple cider vinegar for another type of vinegar, such as white or red wine.
And if you want a bit more heat, you could increase the amount of sriracha sauce or add in an extra jalapeño pepper. The possibilities are endless! Be creative and come up with your ideas for using this delicious hot sauce recipe.
Tips and tricks for a better sauce
First of all, use fresh diced tomatoes for a fresher flavor.
- For a smokier flavor, use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce instead of the sriracha sauce.
- To thicken the sauce, cook it for a longer period or add a tomato product like tomato sauce or tomato soup.
- Adjust the amount of honey and vinegar to taste. You may want to add more or less, depending on your preference.
- If you want a thinner sauce, add more water until it reaches the desired consistency.
- The sauce can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Reheat before serving.
- Serve the sauce over your favorite dishes like tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or quesadillas.
- Add the sauce to grilled meats or vegetables for a flavorful boost.
- Use the sauce as a dip for chips or other appetizers.
Finally, make a big batch of the sauce and can or freeze it for later use.
We hope you enjoy this Valentina’s hot sauce recipe! It’s a delicious, easy-to-make sauce that adds a flavorful kick to any dish. Be sure to experiment with the ingredients to find your perfect combination.
Similar Recipes from HotSalty: