Looking for a delicious way to enjoy turnip greens? Look no further than this easy cracker barrel turnip greens recipe!
This dish is simple to prepare and features flavorful ingredients that tantalize your taste buds. Plus, it’s a great way to get some vegetables into your diet. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
What is the best way to cook cracker barrel turnip greens?
There are a few different ways to cook cracker barrel turnip greens, but one of our favorites is to sauté them with bacon.
The bacon adds a delicious flavor and richness to the dish that you won’t be able to resist. Plus, it’s a great way to get some protein in your diet. So, if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to cook turnip greens, this is the recipe for you!
How long does it take to make this recipe?
It takes about 20 minutes to cook this recipe from start to finish. So it’s perfect if you’re looking for a quick and easy meal. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover bacon that you may have.
What do I need for this recipe?
You’ll need turnip greens, bacon, onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper for this recipe. So it’s a great way to use up any ingredients that you may have on hand. So if you’re looking for a tasty and easy turnip greens recipe, this is the one for you!
Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens Recipe
- 1 lb Turnip greens
- 1/2 lb Bacon (diced)
- 1/2 Onion (diced)
- 1 Clove of garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper
- Wash the turnip greens and trim off any tough stems.
- In a large skillet, sauté the bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the turnip greens and cook until wilted.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
- This recipe serves 4.
- You can adjust the seasoning to taste.
- You can also add other ingredients such as diced tomatoes or red pepper flakes for added flavor.
Tips to make this recipe a bit spicier
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the mixture.
- Serve with hot sauce on the side.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top before serving.
- Add a diced jalapeño pepper to the mixture.
And finally, add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the bacon before cooking.
Is this recipe healthy?
Yes, this recipe is healthy. It features nutritious ingredients like turnip greens and bacon. It’s also a great way to get some vegetables into your diet. So if you’re looking for a healthy and delicious dish, this recipe is perfect for you!
Is this recipe gluten-free?
No, this recipe does not call for any gluten-free ingredients. However, if you need a gluten-free version, you can try substituting gluten-free bacon or gluten-free flour in the recipe.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time. Simply cook the bacon, onion, and garlic until softened, add the turnip greens and cook until wilted.
Season with salt and black pepper to taste, then store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through when you’re ready to serve.
Can I make this recipe with other types of greens?
Yes, you can substitute any type of green vegetable in this recipe. Swiss chard, kale, and collard greens are all good options.
Some variations of this recipe:
The possibilities are endless with this delicious and easy-to-make recipe! So give it a try today and see just how good turnip greens can be.
Instead of bacon, you can use ham or sausage and you can also serve the turnip greens over cooked rice or pasta for a complete meal.
Can I replace some ingredients?
Yes, you can replace some of the ingredients in this recipe if needed.
For example, if you don’t have bacon on hand, you can use ham or sausage. Or, if you don’t have onion on hand, you can use chopped celery. The possibilities are endless! So feel free to get creative and make this recipe your own.
Can I store this recipe?
Yes, you can store this recipe. Just place the cooked greens in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the greens for up to 2 months. Then, just thaw them in the refrigerator before reheating. Enjoy!
Things to take care of while storing this recipe:
First of all, make sure that the turnip greens are completely cooled before storing.
- Place the cooked greens in an airtight container.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
- Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Be sure to label the container with the date.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Keep out of direct sunlight.
And finally, make sure that the container is clean and dry before storing.
Tips and tricks for a better recipe
Sometimes simple things like choosing the right flour make all the difference! So, here are some simple tips that will improve your recipe:
- Use higher quality bacon;
- Add more garlic for extra flavor;
- Cook the greens until they are wilted for the best flavor;
- Season with salt and pepper to taste;
- Serve hot straight out of the skillet for the best results;
- Use a cast-iron skillet for the best results;
- Experiment with different types of greens for variation;
- Try serving with a side of brown rice or quinoa for a complete meal.
And finally, make a big batch and store leftovers in the fridge for quick and easy meals later.
10 Things to serve with this recipe
1. Crispy bacon: One of the best things to serve with turnip greens is crispy bacon.
2. Fried onions: Another great side dish to have with turnip greens is fried onions.
3. Grilled cheese: A classic comfort food, grilled cheese goes perfectly with turnip greens.
4. Mac and cheese: Another creamy and comforting dish, mac and cheese is a great pairing for turnip greens.
5. Mashed potatoes: A simple side dish of mashed potatoes can elevate your meal with turnip greens.
6. Cornbread: Serve some warm and fluffy cornbread alongside your turnip greens for a classic Southern meal.
7. Ham hocks: If you’re looking to add some flavor to your turnip greens, try cooking them with ham hocks.
8. Sausage: Another great way to add flavor to your turnip greens is by cooking them with sausage.
9. Fried chicken: Fried chicken is a classic Southern dish that goes great with turnip greens.
10. Biscuits: Serve your turnip greens with some fluffy Southern biscuits for a complete meal.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy cracker barrel turnip greens recipe, this is for you! It’s simple, quick, and perfect for a weeknight meal. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover bacon or greens that you may have. So give it a try today!