Aunt Jemima cornbread is a simple, delicious, and foolproof recipe passed down for generations. The key to its success is the perfect ratio of ingredients, which results in a light and fluffy cornbread that is never dry or crumbly.
Aunt Jemima cornbread is a classic dish that’s beloved by many. This recipe is simple and easy to follow, and the results are delicious!
What’s in the Aunt Jemima cornbread recipe?
In the Aunt Jemima cornbread recipe, you will need basic ingredients like all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vegetable oil, milk, eggs.
Can I make this recipe at home?
Yes, you can make this recipe at home. The ingredients are relatively simple and easy to find, so it’s a great option for beginner cooks. Just be sure to follow the instructions closely to end up with a perfect batch of cornbread.
How long does it take to make this recipe?
This recipe takes about 35 minutes to make from start to finish. The majority of that time is spent baking in the oven, so there’s not a lot of hands-on work required. You can also prep the ingredients ahead of time so that everything is ready to go when you start cooking.
Aunt Jemima Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Vgeetable oil
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line an 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the oil and milk until well combined.
- Add the eggs and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cooling for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Some variations of this recipe:
- Use 1/4 cup honey in place of the vegetable oil.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped green onion or chives.
- Replace the cornmeal with all-purpose flour for a more traditional cornbread flavor.
- Try replacing the milk with buttermilk for a richer flavor.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or any other type of cheese you like.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped cooked ham or bacon for a savory twist.
- Experiment with different spices such as chili powder, cumin, or smoked paprika to give the cornbread a unique flavor.
- Make it gluten-free by using a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
And finally, for a sweeter cornbread, try adding 1/4 cup of sugar. The possibilities are endless, so get creative and have fun with it!
Can I replace some ingredients?
If you don’t have all of the ingredients on hand, or if you want to make some adjustments to the recipe, feel free to experiment. You can try replacing the cornmeal with another type of flour, adding in some spices like cinnamon or chili powder, or using a different type of oil.
The possibilities are endless! Just be sure to keep track of what you change so that you can replicate the recipe correctly if you want to make it again. This Aunt Jemima cornbread recipe is a foolproof classic always a hit. So be sure to give it a try!
Can I use another type of flour?
Yes, you can use another type of flour in this recipe. For example, all-purpose wheat flour or whole wheat flour would work well or try a gluten-free blend.
Just be sure to keep track of the measurements so that you don’t end up with too much or too little flour in your cornbread.
Should I use more eggs?
The recipe calls for two eggs, but you can adjust this. If you want a firmer, more dense cornbread, try using 3 or 4 eggs instead. If you want a light and fluffy texture, stick with the recommended number of eggs.
Can I make this recipe into muffins?
Yes, you can! Just bake them for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Can I use another type of oil?
You can use any type of oil you prefer in this recipe. For example, olive oil, grapeseed oil, or sunflower oil would work well.
Can I store this recipe:
Yes, the cornbread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Things to take care of while storing this recipe:
- Make sure the cornbread is fully cooled before storing it in an airtight container.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Keep away from moisture and humidity.
- Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Use within three days of making.
- Avoid contact with strong-smelling foods.
- Do not cover with a lid that has a tight seal.
- Place on a flat surface in an upright position.
And finally, if the cornbread starts to go stale, toast it in the oven for a few minutes.
Tips and tricks for a better recipe
Sometimes simple things like choosing the right flour make all the difference! So, here are some simple tips that will improve your recipe:
- Use high-quality all-purpose flour.
- Make sure to use fresh eggs, not expired ones.
- Measure the ingredients correctly using cups, tablespoons, and teaspoons.
- Preheat the oven to the correct temperature before baking.
- Line the baking dish with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix the ingredients.
- Don’t overmix the batter – just mix until everything is well combined.
- Bake for the recommended amount of time or until a toothpick comes out clean.
And finally, let the cornbread cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
10 Things to serve with Aunt Jemima’s cornbread recipe
Cornbread is a must-have at Thanksgiving dinner. Serve it up alongside your favorite turkey dishes. Another holiday where cornbread is a must-have. Serve it up alongside your favorite Christmas dishes.
Cornbread is a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
1. Sliced BBQ beef brisket: Cornbread is a great way to soak up the delicious sauce from your BBQ beef brisket. It is one of the perfect combos to enjoy together.
2. Chili: Serve a big bowl of chili alongside some warm and fluffy cornbread for a perfect winter meal.
3. Fried chicken: A classic southern dish that pairs perfectly with some Aunt Jemima cornbread.
4. Sausage and peppers: This hearty dish is perfect for a winter meal and goes great with some cornbread on the side.
5. Stew: Whether it’s beef, chicken, or vegetable stew, cornbread is the perfect accompaniment.
6. Mac and cheese: Who doesn’t love mac and cheese? Serve it up with a big slice of cornbread for a comforting meal.
7. Black bean soup: A delicious and healthy soup that pairs perfectly with some cornbread on the side.
8. Salisbury steak: This classic dish is perfect for a hearty winter meal and goes great with some cornbread.
9. Fruit salad: A light and refreshing side dish pairs perfectly with some sweet and fluffy cornbread.
10. Grilled cheese sandwich: A portion of classic comfort food that goes perfectly with a warm slice of cornbread.
This Aunt Jemima cornbread recipe is a classic that’s always a hit. So be sure to give it a try! You can make this recipe very easily without any hectic work. You can make your variation of this recipe. You add or subtract ingredients as per your taste preferences.