Today I will how you how to make candied yams from a can. It’s an easy, but delicious recipe you will love!
Are you looking for a tasty Thanksgiving side dish that is easy to make? If so, you should consider using canned yams to make candied yams.
This recipe is simple and only requires a few ingredients. Plus, it will taste just as good as if you had made them from scratch. So, give it a try this year!
We all know what candied yams are. But did you know that you can make them from a can?
Yep, it’s true!
And they’re just as delicious as those you’d get at a restaurant. Just follow the simple steps below, and you’ll be good to go.
Can I make candied yams from a can?
Candied yams are a classic Thanksgiving side dish, but they can be time-consuming to make from scratch.
Canned yams are a convenient alternative, but many people wonder if they can be used to make candied yams. The answer is yes! Canned yams can make candied yams with just a few simple ingredients.
Canned yams are a great way to save time when making candied yams, and they taste just as good as the traditional version.
You’ll have delicious candied yams that your family will love. And who knows – maybe they’ll never guess they came from a can!
Is it a simple or complicated process?
The process of making candied yams from a can is quite simple. The most time-consuming part is peeling and slicing the yams, but that can be easily done ahead of time.
Once the yams are peeled and sliced, all you need to do is combine them with the other ingredients, cook them until they’re soft, and then bake them in the oven.
It’s that easy!
How long does it take to make candied yams from a can?
Using canned yams is a quick and easy option for those who want to enjoy the taste of homemade candied yams without spending hours in the kitchen.
But how long does it take to make candied yams from a can?
The answer depends on the recipe you use. Some recipes only require a few minutes of prep time, while others may take up to an hour.
However, most recipes will yield delicious results in less than an hour of total cooking time. So if you’re short on time this Thanksgiving, don’t worry; try our candied yams recipe.
Do you drain the juice from canned yams?
Yes, you should drain the juice from canned yams before using them to make candied yams.
Otherwise, your dish will be too watery. So be sure to drain the yams and discard the juice before proceeding with the recipe.
Candied Yams From a Can Recipe
- 9x13 inch baking dish
- 1 can Yams, drained (29 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mash the yams in a medium bowl.
- Mix in brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
- Spread the mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
This recipe is very versatile, so feel free to add or replace some of the ingredients.
For example, if you don’t have butter on hand, you can use margarine or vegetable oil. And if you want a little extra sweetness, you can add more brown sugar to the mixture.
You can also add raisins, chopped nuts, or marshmallows. So get creative and make the dish your own!
Can I use fresh yams to make candied yams?
Yes, you can use fresh yams to make candied yams. However, the cooking time will be longer since you’ll need to cook the yams until they’re soft before baking them.
So if you’re short on time, we recommend using canned yams. They’re just as delicious and will save you time in the kitchen.
Do I need to peel the yams before cooking?
Yes, you should peel the yams before cooking them. The skin is tough and won’t soften when cooked, so it’s best to peel them before using them in the recipe.
Once they’re peeled, you can slice them into thin pieces or chunks, depending on your preference.
Tips and tricks for a better recipe
First of all, if you want a crunchier topping, mix 1/4 cup chopped nuts into the yam mixture before baking.
- For a more savory dish, try adding salt and pepper to taste.
- If you prefer sweeter yams, add 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- You could add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the yams before serving.
- For a festive touch, try garnishing with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Get creative with your toppings! Try using chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts instead of the traditional nuts.
- If you want to cut down on sugar, use maple syrup as a natural sweetener.
- To make this dish vegan-friendly, simply substitute the butter for vegan margarine or coconut oil.
- This dish can also be made in the slow cooker! Simply combine all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- If you want a bit of a crunch in your yams, try roasting them in the oven before adding them to the dish.
- For extra flavor, add a splash of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to the yam mixture.
- Not a fan of cinnamon? Try using pumpkin pie spice or ginger instead.
And finally, yams are also delicious when pureed! If you want a creamier dish, simply mash or puree the yams before adding the rest of the ingredients. Get creative with your leftovers! Try using them in sweet potato pancakes or waffles for a fun and easy breakfast.
Things to serve with this recipe
1. Marshmallows: Place them on top of the casserole during the last 10 minutes of baking for a toasty topping.
2. Pecans: Stir 1/2 cup of chopped pecans into the yam mixture before baking.
3. Whipped cream: Top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream for a decadent touch.
4. Maple syrup: Stir 1/4 cup of maple syrup into the yam mixture for a touch of sweetness.
5. Vanilla extract: Add one teaspoon of vanilla extract to the yam mixture for more flavor.
Can I store this recipe?
Yams are best when they are served fresh, but they can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave before serving. Enjoy!
Things to take care of while storing this recipe:
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Keep yams in their can until you’re ready to use them.
- Do not refrigerate yams.
- Discard any yams that have been left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- When reheating yams, be sure to heat them thoroughly to prevent food poisoning.
This recipe is a quick and easy way to make a delicious side dish that your family will love.
Be sure to drain the yams before adding them to the mixture, and feel free to add or replace some of the ingredients to make the dish your own. With a few simple tips and tricks, you can make a delicious and healthy candied yams recipe that everyone will enjoy!
Similar Recipes from HotSalty: