Warm up with a bowl of this delicious and easy-to-make Outback Baked Potato Soup Recipe. It’s the perfect copycat recipe for the restaurant favorite.
This soup is sure to please everyone at the table, featuring bacon, cheese, and potatoes. Best of all, it can be made in just 30 minutes!
So get cozy and enjoy a bowl of this comforting soup today.
If you are looking for an easy and delicious soup recipe. This outback baked potato soup is a copycat of the popular restaurant dish, and it’s sure to please!
So why not give it a try today?
What is the Outback baked potato soup?
The Outback baked potato soup is a creamy soup loaded with bacon, cheese, and onions. It is a perfect starter for any meal or a hearty meal on its own.
The soup is made by baking potatoes in the oven, then pureeing them with cream, chicken broth, and spices.
The bacon, cheese, and onions are added to the soup before serving. This gives the soup a smoky flavor and a rich texture.
The Outback baked potato soup is best served with a crusty baguette or a simple green salad.
Is this an easy recipe?
This recipe is very easy to follow and only requires a few ingredients that you may already have in your pantry.
In just 30 minutes, you can have a delicious and hearty soup perfect for a winter meal.
What ingredients do I need for this soup?
To make this delicious soup, you’ll need:
Potatoes: For this recipe, you’ll need four large baking potatoes. Peel them and dice them into bite-size pieces.
Onion: One onion, diced, will add the perfect amount of flavor to this soup.
Chicken Broth: 3 cups of chicken broth are needed for this recipe.
Milk: 1 cup of milk is required for the soup.
Sour Cream: 1/2 cup of sour cream will give the soup a nice creamy texture.
Cheddar Cheese: You’ll need 8 ounces of cheddar cheese, shredded, for this recipe. Plus, a little extra for topping the soup when it’s served.
Bacon: 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, are the perfect finishing touch for this soup.
Salt and Pepper: To taste.
What else do I need?
In addition to the ingredients listed above, you’ll need a large pot or Dutch oven for cooking the soup.
You’ll also need measuring cups and spoons for measuring the ingredients and a cheese grater for shredding the cheddar cheese.
Outback Baked Potato Soup
- 4 Large baking potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 8 oz Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 6 Bacon strips (cooked and crumbled)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Simply combine all ingredients in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.
Can I use any type of potatoes?
For this recipe, you’ll need four large baking potatoes.
However, you can use any type of potato that you have on hand.
For example, you could use russet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, or red potatoes. Ensure the potatoes are peeled and diced into bite-size pieces before adding them to the soup.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
This soup can be made a day or two in advance.
Simply follow the recipe instructions and store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge.
When ready to eat, simply reheat the soup until it’s hot and served.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
Yes, of course!
This is a very versatile recipe. Feel free to add or replace ingredients as you see fit.
For example, you could use sweet potatoes instead of baking potatoes or add some chopped kale or spinach for extra nutrition.
You could also swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth if you’re looking for a vegetarian/vegan option. So get creative and make this soup your own!
Tips and tricks for a better soup
First of all, for a richer flavor, sauté the diced onion in a bit of butter before adding it to the pot.
- Instead of chicken broth, use beef for a heartier soup.
- For extra cheesy goodness, top the soup with shredded Parmesan cheese in addition to the cheddar cheese.
- Give the soup a bit of a kick by adding a diced jalapeño pepper to the pot and other ingredients.
- If you like your soup on the thicker side, add 1-2 tablespoons of flour to the pot when you first add the liquids. Stir until combined and cook as directed.
- Add some chopped green onion to the soup when you serve it for a bit of color and flavor.
- This soup is also delicious and served cold! Simply refrigerate after cooking and enjoy within a few days.
- For a fun twist, top the soup with crumbled blue cheese instead of bacon.
- To make this soup even more filling, add some diced cooked chicken to the pot and other ingredients.
- Give the soup a southwestern flavor by substituting the milk for evaporated milk and adding a tablespoon of chili powder to the pot.
- Stir in a cup of frozen corn when you add the other ingredients for a bit of sweetness and texture.
- Top each serving of soup with crispy fried onions for a delicious crunch.
- Swap out half of the potatoes for another starchy vegetable, like diced sweet potatoes or winter squash.
Finally, for a creamier soup, use half and half or whole milk instead of the regular milk.
Dishes to serve with homemade Outback Baked Potato Soup
Here are serving dishes that would be great to serve alongside homemade Outback Baked Potato Soup:
- Grilled cheese sandwiches – These are a portion of classic comfort food that pairs well with the soup.
- Cornbread – This goes great with any soup, and Outback Baked Potato Soup is no exception.
- Salad – A simple green salad is a refreshing contrast to the rich and creamy soup.
- Roasted vegetables – Roasted veggies are a great side dish for any meal, and they go especially well with this soup.
- Crusty bread – Crusty bread is perfect for dipping into the soup and adds some extra heartiness to the meal.
- Fruit salad – A fruit salad is a light and refreshing way to round out the meal.
- Potato chips – This might seem like an odd choice, but potato chips go quite well with the soup. The salty flavor is a nice contrast to the creamy soup.
This soup is a real winner! It’s hearty, filling, and full of flavor. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be customized to your liking. So go ahead and give it a try! We are sure you’ll love it as much as we do.
Similar Recipes from HotSalty: