Love taco Tuesdays? Us too! But store-bought taco seasoning packets can get expensive and sometimes contain unwanted additives.
This authentic Mexican taco seasoning recipe is super easy to make, perfectly seasoned, and costs just a fraction of the price of store-bought packets.
Plus, you can customize the level of heat to your liking.
So give it a try next time you’re in the mood for tacos!
What is the Authentic Mexican Taco Seasoning?
The taco is a versatile dish that can be made with a variety of different meats, vegetables, and spices.
While there are many different ways to season a taco, authentic Mexican taco seasoning is a blend of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and salt.
This simple seasoning blend can be used to create a variety of different flavor profiles, from rich and spicy to mild and earthy.
When used correctly, authentic Mexican taco seasoning can take any taco from ordinary to extraordinary.
Why you should try this seasoning?
This is the perfect recipe if you’re looking for a flavorful taco seasoning.
It has a nice balance of spices that will give your tacos a delicious flavor.
Plus, it’s easy to make and only requires a few common ingredients. So give it a try the next time you’re in the mood for tacos!
How long does it take to make this seasoning?
This seasoning only takes a few minutes to make. It is one of the simplest seasonings to whip up and only requires a few common ingredients.
This recipe makes about one tablespoon of seasoning, which is enough for 1-2 tacos. If you make a larger batch, double or triple the recipe as needed.
What ingredients do I need to start?
To make this recipe, you will need:
Chili powder: It is a mixture of dried chili peppers and other spices. It gives the taco seasoning a fiery flavor.
Cumin: Cumin is a spice made from the dried seeds of a plant in the parsley family. It is used to add flavor and aroma to food.
Garlic powder: It is made from ground, dehydrated garlic. It has a strong flavor and is used to add seasoning to food.
Salt: It is used to add flavor or as a preservative.
Paprika: Paprika is a spice made from dried ground peppers. It can be mild or hot, giving food a reddish color.
Black pepper: It is used to add flavor and spice to food.
Oregano: Oregano is a fragrant herb used to add flavor to food.
Onion powder: It is made from ground, dehydrated onions. It has a strong flavor and is used to add seasoning to food.
Red pepper flakes: Red pepper flakes are made from dried, crushed red peppers. They are used to add heat and spice to food.
What else do I need?
In addition to the ingredients listed above, you will also need:
- A bowl: This is used to mix the ingredients.
- An airtight container: This is used to store the taco seasoning.
- A spoon: This is used to stir the ingredients together and to measure the spices.
- A measuring cup: This is used to measure the spices.
Authentic Mexican Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container and use as needed.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
Yes, you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste.
For example, if you don’t like red pepper flakes, you can omit them or replace them with another type of chili pepper. And, if you want a little more heat, you can add more chili powder or black pepper.
There are no hard and fast rules, so feel free to experiment until you find a blend.
Tips and tricks for a better seasoning
- Use fresh spices for the best flavor.
- Try using a combination of different chili powders for a more complex flavor.
- Adjust the amount of salt to taste.
- For a smokier flavor, add some smoked paprika.
- Make a double batch and keep it on hand for quick and easy meals.
- Try making your chili powder blend for a custom flavor.
Dishes that go well with homemade authentic Mexican taco seasoning recipe
When it comes to Mexican food, there are few things more delicious than a good taco.
And while store-bought taco seasoning can be convenient, there’s nothing quite like the flavor of a homemade blend.
So if you’re looking for some inspiration for dishes that go well with your homemade taco seasoning, here are several recipes to try.
- Tacos: Of course, tacos are the classic dish to make with taco seasoning. This dish is always a hit whether you’re using ground beef, chicken, or even tofu.
- Enchiladas: Enchiladas are another great way to use this taco seasoning. Simply mix the seasoning with some shredded cheese and your favorite enchilada fillings, then roll them up in tortillas and bake until hot and bubbly.
- Chili: Taco seasoning also makes a great addition to chili. Simply add it to your favorite recipe – or even a can of beans – and enjoy.
- Soups: Taco seasoning can also be used to flavor soups. Whether making a hearty beef chili or a simple vegetable soup, a little taco seasoning will give it an extra kick of flavor.
- Stews: Another great way to use taco seasoning is in stew recipes. Simply add it to your favorite recipe – or even just a can of diced tomatoes – and enjoy.
- Skillet meals: Taco seasoning is also great for flavor skillet meals. Whether you’re cooking up some ground beef for tacos or just sauteing vegetables, a little taco seasoning will give it an extra zing.
- Quesadillas: Taco seasoning is also delicious in quesadillas. Simply mix it with some shredded cheese and your favorite fillings, then grill until the cheese is melted and the quesadilla is golden brown.
- Nachos: Taco seasoned also makes a delicious topping for nachos. Simply sprinkle it over your favorite tortilla chips, then top with cheese, beans, salsa, and all your other favorite nacho toppings.
- Dips: Another great way to use taco seasoning is in dips. Mix it with some sour cream or yogurt to make a flavorful ranch dip, or stir it into guacamole for an extra zesty flavor.
- Salad dressings: Lastly, taco seasoning also makes a fantastic salad dressing. Mix it with olive oil and vinegar to create a flavorful vinaigrette, or stir it into mayonnaise for a tasty southwest-style dressing.
No matter how you use it, taco seasoning is sure to add delicious flavor to any dish. So go ahead and experiment – your taste buds will thank you!
Making your taco seasoning is a great way to flavor your Mexican dishes. It is simple to make and allows you to control the ingredients and the spice level. With this recipe, you can create a seasoning that is perfect for your taste. So, get creative and enjoy!
Similar Recipes from HotSalty: