Move over pumpkin spice, and it’s time to get ready for some Mexican cornbread! This recipe from The Pioneer Woman is easy to follow and results in delicious, slightly spicy bread.
Perfect for serving with chili or enjoyed on its own, this cornbread will become a family favorite. Give it a try today!
This recipe is not only easy but also tastes good, just following the steps and serving your loved ones soft and yummy hot cornbread.
What is the Mexican Cornbread recipe from Pioneer Women?
The Mexican Cornbread recipe from Pioneer Woman is the perfect side dish for your next Mexican-inspired meal. This cornbread is packed with flavor, thanks to a combination of cornmeal, all-purpose flour, and green bell pepper.
And best of all, it’s easy to make. Simply combine the ingredients in a bowl, pour into a baking dish, and bake until golden brown. Serve warm with salsa or chili for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Can I make this cornbread at home?
Yes, this cornbread recipe is easy to follow and results in a delicious, slightly spicy bread. This cornbread will quickly become a family classic, whether served with cheese, salsa, or on its own.
How long does this take to make this recipe?
This yummy recipe takes around 1 hour, which includes the preparation and cooking time. Once it is done you have to keep the fresh bread on the tray for cooling, around 5 mins. Serve it fresh.
Mexican Cornbread From Pioneer Women
- 1 1/2 cups Cornmeal
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted and cooled slightly (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup Frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup Diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup Diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch baking pan with butter.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and butter.
- Stir in corn kernels, bell peppers, and cilantro. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
How do I know when the cornbread is done?
The cornbread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. This will be a perfect notification that the bread is baked evenly.
What is the best type of flour for this cornbread?
The best type of flour to use would be all-purpose flour. However, if you are gluten-free, you can use gluten-free flour.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
Yes, you can add or replace some ingredients. For example, if you want to make it spicier, you can add more diced peppers. If you want to make it less spicy, you can omit the peppers altogether. You could also replace the cilantro with chopped green onions.
Get creative and have fun with this recipe!
Tips and tricks for a better recipe
First of all, sift the cornmeal before adding it to the wet ingredients. This will prevent any lumps from forming in the batter.
- Add a little sugar to the batter. This will help balance out the savory flavors of the cornbread and make it slightly sweet.
- Use buttermilk in place of regular milk. This will add richness and depth of flavor to the cornbread.
- Stir in some chopped jalapeños or green chiles for a little heat.
- Add a cup of shredded cheese to the batter. This will make the cornbread extra flavorful and cheesy.
- Top the cornbread with a layer of crumbled bacon before baking. This will give it a delicious smoky flavor.
- Brush the top of the cornbread with melted butter before baking. This will ensure that the cornbread has a nice golden-brown crust.
- Bake the cornbread in a cast-iron skillet or baking dish. This will give it a nice crispy edge.
- Let the cornbread cool slightly before cutting into it. This will help it hold together better and prevent it from falling apart.
- Serve the cornbread with a dollop of honey or jam on top. This will add a touch of sweetness to each bite.
- Store any leftover cornbread in an airtight container. This will keep it fresh and moist for several days.
- Reheat the cornbread in a 350-degree oven before serving. This will help restore its crispy edge.
- Serve the cornbread with soup or chili for a complete meal.
- Use cornbread to make stuffing or dressing for holiday meals.
Finally, enjoy a slice of cornbread with a glass of cold milk or a cup of hot coffee.
Tips for making this recipe a bit spicier
If you like your cornbread a bit more on the spicy side, you can do a few things to add some extra heat to the dish:
- First, try using a hot pepper jack cheese instead of the more mild cheddar cheese.
- You could also add some diced jalapeños or other types of peppers to the cornbread batter before baking.
- Another option is to top your cornbread with a spicy salsa or chili pepper sauce. Whatever you do, be sure to add a little bit until you get the desired level of spiciness.
11 Side dishes to serve with this recipe
1. Refried beans: You can’t go wrong with a classic like refried beans. Serve them on the side or as a topping for your Mexican cornbread.
2. Salsa: A fresh salsa is a perfect way to add some zing to your Mexican cornbread.
3. Guacamole: Another classic that goes great with Mexican cornbread.
4. Sour cream: A dollop of sour cream takes Mexican cornbread to the next level.
5. Cheese: Add some shredded cheese to your cornbread for an extra cheesy treat.
6. Beans: Black beans, pinto beans, navy beans, or beans go great with Mexican cornbread.
7. Vegetables: Corn, peppers, onions, or any veggie goes great in or on top of Mexican cornbread.
8. Fruits: Top your cornbread with some fresh fruit for a sweetness that takes it over the top.
9. Meat: Chicken, beef, pork, or meat goes great with Mexican cornbread.
10. Eggs: Fry up some eggs to serve on the side or as topping for your cornbread.
11. Sauces: Spicy, sweet, or savory, and any sauce takes Mexican cornbread to new and delicious heights.
This Mexican Cornbread recipe is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. It’s packed with flavor, and it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Follow the tips and tricks for a better recipe. You would just be amazed by your own homemade soft cornbread!
Similar Recipes from HotSalty: