If you’re looking for a delicious and easy breakfast or brunch dish, the Perkins potato pancakes recipe is the perfect choice! These pancakes are made with mashed potatoes, eggs, and flour, and they’re crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Plus, they’re versatile – you can serve them with a variety of toppings, from bacon to syrup.
Our potato pancakes are simple to make and sure to please. They’re perfect for any occasion – from a casual weekend breakfast to a more formal dinner party. So why not give Perkins potato pancakes a try? You won’t be disappointed!
What are the Perkins potato pancakes?
The Perkins potato pancake is a type of potato pancake. Perkins potato pancakes are a popular breakfast food item. They are made from mashed potatoes, flour, eggs, and milk.
The ingredients are mixed and then pan-fried in butter or oil.
Perkins potato pancakes are served with various toppings, including sour cream, applesauce, or maple syrup. They are also often eaten with bacon or sausage. The pancake is named after the Perkins restaurant chain, which created the dish.
Can I make this copycat recipe at home?
Yes, you can make potato pancakes at home with a few simple ingredients. The recipe below is pretty close to the ones served at Perkins, but feel free to tweak it. Enjoy!
What’s in these potato pancakes?
The Perkins Potato Pancakes recipe calls for flour, salt, pepper, eggs, potatoes and milk. The pancakes are easy to make and can be served with your favourite toppings.
Some people like to top their pancakes with butter and syrup, while others prefer to add sour cream or applesauce. But, no matter how you choose to eat them, Perkins Potato Pancakes are sure to be a hit!
Perkins Potato Pancakes Recipe
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups Cold mashed potatoes
- 3/4 Milk
- 3 tbsp Butter or vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine the eggs and potatoes.
- Stir in the milk until well blended.
- Add to the flour mixture; mix well.
- In a large skillet, heat butter or oil over medium heat.
- Drop batter by 1/4 cup into the hot butter or oil for each pancake.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
Will these pancakes taste like the originals?
The Perkins potato pancakes recipe is pretty close to the ones served at the restaurant chain, but feel free to tweak it. No matter how you choose to eat them, they will be a hit!
Some variations of this recipe:
There are endless possibilities when it comes to creating delicious potato pancakes! So get creative and have some fun with it:
- Add 1/4 cup of shredded cheese to the batter mix.
- Replace the mashed potatoes with 1 cup of cooked, diced ham or bacon.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped onion to the batter mix.
- Replace the milk with 1/4 cup of beer for a fluffy and light pancake texture.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, onion powder or dried herbs to the batter mix for added flavour.
- Try using different types of flour such as wheat, rye or buckwheat for a change in flavour.
And finally, cook the pancakes on a lightly greased griddle for a crisper texture.
Can I replace or add some ingredients?
Yes, you can replace or add ingredients to the Perkins potato pancakes recipe as you see fit.
For example, some people might like to add shredded cheese or chopped onions to the batter. Others might like to serve their pancakes with a dollop of sour cream or applesauce on top. Feel free to experiment and find what works best for you!
Are Perkins potato pancakes gluten-free?
The Perkins potato pancakes recipe is not gluten-free, as it contains flour. However, you can easily make gluten-free potato pancakes using a gluten-free flour blend.
There are many different gluten-free flour blends on the market, so be sure to check the ingredients to make sure they are compatible with your dietary needs. Enjoy!
Can I store this recipe?
This recipe can be stored for 1-2 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Things to take care of while storing this recipe:
- Make sure the pancakes are cooled before storing.
- Place them in an airtight container or bag.
- Store them in the fridge or freezer.
- Keep them away from moisture and heat.
- Label the container or bag with the recipe name and date.
And finally, use within 1-2 days for the fridge or 2-3 months for the freezer.
Can I freeze Perkins potato pancakes?
Yes, you can freeze Perkins potato pancakes. To do so, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze them for 2 hours.
Once frozen, put them in a resealable plastic bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to eat them, microwave them on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Tips and tricks for a better recipe
There are simple things we can do to improve (even more) the taste of our potato pancakes. I decided to write below some simple, but essential tips to make your smoothie more delicious. Check below:
- Use high-quality all-purpose flour, such as King Arthur Flour.
- Use russet potatoes, ideal for mashed potatoes and pancakes.
- Mash the potatoes until they’re smooth; over mashing will make the pancakes dense.
- Don’t add too much milk; the batter should be thick enough to form pancakes.
- Use butter or vegetable oil in your skillet; other oils will not work.
- Don’t overcrowd the skillet; make only a few pancakes at a time.
- Cook the pancakes over medium heat, so they have plenty of time to brown nicely.
- Flip the pancakes only once; they’ll become tough if you flip them too often.
- Serve the pancakes warm with your favourite toppings.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a day or two or frozen for later use.
- Reheat leftover pancakes in the microwave or oven.
And finally, experiment with different seasonings, such as chives, thyme or rosemary.
10 Things to serve with Perkins Potato Pancakes
1. Maple Syrup: The classic topping for pancakes is perfect for Perkins Potato Pancakes.
2. Jam: Add a sweet and fruity topping to your Perkins Potato Pancakes with your favourite jam.
3. Powdered Sugar: A light dusting of powdered sugar over your Perkins Potato Pancakes gives them a sweet and elegant finish.
4. Bacon: Perkins Bacon goes great with Perkins Potato Pancakes.
5. Sausage: Add a savoury topping to your Perkins Potato Pancakes with sausage crumbles.
6. Blueberry Sauce: A blueberry sauce adds a delicious tart flavour to Perkins Potato Pancakes.
7. Strawberry Sauce: A strawberry sauce pairs perfectly with Perkins Potato Pancakes for a sweet and fruity topping.
8. Bananas: Sliced bananas are a perfect topping for Perkins Potato Pancakes.
9. Chocolate Chips: Add some chocolatey goodness to your Perkins Potato Pancakes with chocolate chips.
10. Pecans or Walnuts: A sprinkle of chopped pecans or walnuts adds a delicious crunch to Perkins Potato Pancakes.
Perkins potato pancakes are classic comfort food, and this recipe is sure to make them even more popular! They are easy to make, taste great and can be customized with your favourite toppings. So, what are you waiting for? Get started on these delicious pancakes today!