Do you love seafood? We certainly do, especially when it’s covered in a delicious sauce like tartar sauce. If you are a fan of Gordon Ramsay, you know that he is known for his delicious tartar sauce recipe.
In this blog post, we will show you how to make his tartar sauce recipe and give some tips on how to best enjoy it.
While we could go out and buy Tartar sauce from the store, we decided to try our hand at making it by ourselves using a recipe from Gordon Ramsay.
Let us tell you, the results were amazing!
So, if you are ready to learn how to make one of Ramsay’s signature dishes, keep reading!
What is the Tartar Sauce from Gordon Ramsay?
Gordon Ramsay’s Tartar Sauce is a savory sauce made with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, capers, and a few more ingredients that you will know more about in detail below.
It is perfect for dipping or as a condiment on sandwiches and burgers.
The sauce has a slightly sweet taste, adding sugar and vinegar.
The diced pickles add crunch and a tangy flavor, while the shallots add a touch of sweetness. The capers provide a salty, briny flavor that compliments the other ingredients. This sauce is easy to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Can I make that sauce at home?
Are you kidding me? Of course, you can! We encourage you to try it. It is a simple sauce to make and only requires a few ingredients. Plus, it is always more satisfying to make something from scratch.
If you have never made tartar sauce before, don’t worry. We will walk you through the process step-by-step, so you can confidently make this sauce in your kitchen.
How long does it take to make the sauce?
Making Gordon Ramsay’s tartar sauce is a relatively simple process that should only take a few minutes.
The first step is to combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together until they are combined. Then, slowly adjust the seasoning to the mixture while continuing to whisk until the sauce is thick and creamy.
Once the sauce is finished, it can be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
While it may be tempting to try and shortcut the recipe using store-bought mayonnaise, it’s worth taking the extra time to make the sauce from scratch. The result is a much tastier and more authentic-tasting tartar sauce.
Gordon Ramsay Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Capers (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Serve with your favorite dish.
Will this sauce taste like the original?
Yes, this Gordon Ramsay tartar sauce recipe is very close to the original. The main difference is that we used store-bought mayonnaise, while Ramsay’s recipe calls for making your own.
Other than that, the ingredients and proportions are very similar. We think that you will be very happy with the results.
Can I add or replace some ingredients?
Yes, you can add or replace some of the ingredients in this recipe. For example, if you don’t have capers on hand, you could use chopped olives or pickles. You could add a bit of hot sauce if you like your tartar sauce with a kick.
If you want to replace the mayonnaise with another ingredient, we recommend using Greek yogurt or sour cream. These ingredients will give the sauce a similar consistency and flavor.
Best Things to dip in this sauce
- Crudités: Carrots, celery, cucumber, and radishes are perfect for dipping in this sauce.
- Seafood: Shrimp, lobster, and crab all taste great with this sauce.
- Chicken: Try dipping chicken strips or nuggets in this sauce for a tasty treat.
- Veggies: Steamed or grilled vegetables are delicious when dipped in this sauce.
- Chips: Potato, tortilla, or pita chips all taste great with this sauce.
- Pretzels: Soft pretzels are the perfect vessel for this sauce.
- Bread: Slather this sauce on some bread and enjoy.
- Sandwich: Transform your sandwich by adding this sauce.
- Pizza: Add this sauce to your next pizza for a unique twist.
- Pasta: Toss this sauce with your favorite pasta dish.
- Salad: Use this sauce as a salad dressing for a unique flavor. This sauce can also be used as a dip for other foods such as chicken fingers or fries.
Tips and tricks for a better recipe
First of all, use good quality mayonnaise for the best flavor.
- This sauce can also be made gluten-free using a gluten-free Dijon mustard.
- For a bit of heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the sauce.
- Make sure to taste the sauce before serving, and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- This sauce is also great on fish tacos or as a dip for veggies.
- If you want a smoother sauce, simply blend the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Want to save some time? Use store-bought mayonnaise and add your own flavorings to it.
- If you want a thinner sauce, simply add a bit of milk or cream to reach the desired consistency.
- This sauce is also delicious on burgers or as a dipping sauce for fries.
- Add a teaspoon of grated lemon zest to the sauce for an extra zesty flavor.
- If you don’t have Dijon mustard on hand, you can use regular yellow mustard instead.
- To make this recipe vegan-friendly, use vegan mayonnaise instead of the regular variety.
- Homemade Gordon Ramsay Tartar Sauce will last in the fridge for upto 2 weeks. To extend the shelf life of the sauce, make sure to use fresh ingredients and store them in an airtight container. Once opened, the sauce should be used within a few days.
Discard the sauce immediately if you notice any spoilage, such as mold or an off odor. With proper care, homemade Tartar Sauce can be a delicious and convenient addition to your kitchen repertoire.
Which is better, warm or cold, for the handmade Gordon Ramsay tartar sauce?
The great debate over whether Gordon Ramsay’s tartar sauce should be served warm or cold has divided the internet. Some say that the warmth of the sauce brings out the flavors of the seasoning, while others insist that the cold is essential to preserving the freshness of the ingredients.
So, which is it? The answer may surprise you. Although Gordon Ramsay says that the sauce should be served cold, many experts believe that a brief stint in the microwave is best.
This helps to bring out the flavor of the capers. So, if you want to make your Gordon Ramsay tartar sauce authentic, don’t hesitate to give it a quick blast of heat before serving.
As you can see, making Gordon Ramsay’s tartar sauce is a relatively simple process that only takes a few minutes. The key is to use good quality ingredients and to adjust the seasoning to your taste. This sauce is perfect for fish and chips but can also be used on burgers, fries, or as a dip for veggies.
Give it a try the next time you’re looking for a delicious and easy sauce recipe. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
Similar Recipes from HotSalty: